Open call to apply for CEED Concordia's Secretary to the Board of Directors
Position: Board Secretary
Time Commitment: Fifteen hours/ month (meetings, consultation, special events)
Term: September 2017 to September 2018
Accountability: The Secretary serves and is accountable to the Board of Directors CEED Concordia for his/her Performance.
The Secretary participates in Board meetings as a non-voting member. In the absence of the Chair, the Secretary calls the meeting to order, presiding until a temporary chairperson is elected. The Secretary records meeting minutes as described below.
- The secretary is responsible for ensuring that accurate minutes of meetings are taken, distributed and approved:
- date, time, location of meeting;
- list of those present and absent;
- list of items discussed;
- list of reports presented;
- text of motions presented and description of their disposition.
- The Secretary signs a copy of the final, approved minutes and ensures that this copy is maintained in the corporate records.
- The Secretary ensures that official records are maintained of members of the organization and Board. He/She ensures that these records are available when required for reports, elections, referenda, other votes, etc
- The Secretary ensures that an up-to-date copy of the bylaws is available at all meetings.
- Assist with the preparation of documents for the annual general meeting, including but not limited to the prior acts (which should be maintained on an ongoing basis)
The secretary must:
• Be committed to and interested in the mission of the organization
• Have a firm understanding of the role of the Board
• Be efficient at minute taking, accurate written work, and attentive to the meeting
• Have sufficient time to devote to his/her primary duties and punctual in document delivery
The effectiveness of the Secretary shall be evaluated as part of the evaluation of the Board itself.
Removal of Secretary
Unless otherwise indicated in the constitution, the Secretary may be removed by a special resolution of the Board for which advance notification has been given to all Directors, duly moved and seconded, and passed by a majority of directors present at a regular or special meeting of the Board.
The service of the board chair will be recognized through an honorarium in the amount of $300/year.