CEED Concordia is recruiting a new Chair of the Board of Directors, apply today!
CEED Concordia is a non-profit organization dedicated to social justice, community empowerment, and positive change through supporting youth in Montreal, Canada and Gulu, Uganda, as well as in other regions across Africa and Latin America. Our organization provides 3-month summer internships for Concordia and Ugandan students to contribute to sustainable community projects in northern Uganda. We aim to cultivate future leaders in the international community development sector by offering firsthand experience to students from both communities. Our program is supported by a fee-levy of Concordia University’s undergraduate students, showcasing Concordia’s commitment to civic responsibility and experiential learning. Annually, approximately 25-30 youth become involved with our program through internships, academic initiatives, and various roles within our organization.
As an executive member of the board of directors at CEED Concordia, the Board Chair is appointed according to the organization’s bylaws. Their accountability is to the Board, and they share the same limitations as other members of the board with respect to directing staff or involving themselves in matters outside their designated duties.
Term of Office
Two (2) years
Twelve to fifteen (12-15) hours per month
1000$ per annum
The Chairman is responsible for:
Leading the Board:
- Providing strategic leadership and ensuring the Board’s oversight of the organization’s obligations to stakeholders and legal requirements.
- Facilitating effective communication with the Board by keeping them up-to-date on major developments, coordinating meeting logistics, and ensuring sufficient information for informed decision-making.
- Coordinating and leading all Board and committee meetings to ensure efficient, effective, and focused discussions and monitoring of the organization’s aims, strategy, policies, and achievement of objectives.
- Facilitating candid and full discussions of all key matters that come before the Board.
- Directing the search for and selection of new directors and ensuring their familiarity with the organization’s business and affairs.
- Liaising and communicating with all directors and committee chairs to coordinate input, recommend committee composition, and optimize the effectiveness of the Board and its committees.
- Chairing all board meetings, including special meetings as necessary, and approving the minutes.
- Reviewing and assessing the performance, attendance, and composition of the board to ensure it has the appropriate mix of skills, diversity, and experience to effectively oversee and guide the organization.
- Reviewing and assessing the performance of management in interacting with the Board and its committees.
- Providing guidance and mentorship to the organization’s board and leadership team on best practices in governance, sustainability, and other key areas, to ensure the long-term success and impact of the organization.
- Attending and supporting committee meetings as necessary for effective governance, working closely with committee chairs to ensure alignment with the organization’s goals and mission.
- Building strong relationships with sector leaders, universities, volunteers, and other key stakeholders to promote collaboration, knowledge sharing, and community engagement.
- Promote a culture of transparency, accountability, and ethical behavior throughout the organization.
Collaboration with the Management Team:
- Maintaining regular touchpoints with the Executive Director and other members of the organization’s leadership team to ensure they are informed about the Board’s goals and objectives, as well as to provide support and guidance as needed.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director to ensure effective communication between the Board and management, and to keep each other informed of significant developments, priorities, and concerns.
- Ensuring that the Executive Director has the necessary resources and support to fulfill their responsibilities effectively.
- Coordinating with the Executive Director to ensure that management strategy, plans, and performance are appropriately presented to the Board, shareholders, and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Ensuring that all matters requiring Board approval are brought to the Board in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Working with the Executive Director to ensure that all necessary information and materials are provided to the Board in advance of meetings and that the Board has sufficient time to review and consider these materials.
- Working with the Executive Director and other stakeholders to ensure that appropriate controls and processes are in place to manage risk, ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, and safeguard the organization’s assets.
- Leading the Board in monitoring and evaluating the Executive Director’s performance, ensuring accountability, and developing performance metrics and evaluation processes.
- Collaborating with the Finance Committee and Executive Director to ensure the financial stability of the organization, including monitoring the budget, overseeing investments, and ensuring that appropriate financial policies and procedures are in place.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse group of individuals toward a common goal
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to articulate the mission, vision, and strategy of the organization to a variety of stakeholders
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, with experience working in diverse communities and with people from different backgrounds and perspectives
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify issues, develop effective solutions, and make sound decisions
- Experience in international development, including a good understanding of the challenges and opportunities associated with working in developing countries
- Familiarity with the nonprofit sector, including knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements, financial management, and governance best practices
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and oversee the implementation of the organization’s strategy
- A commitment to social justice and community empowerment, with a passion for making a positive difference in the lives of others
- Proven experience in developing and implementing effective strategies that align with the organization’s mission and goals, with a focus on long-term sustainability and impact.
- An understanding of the role of a board in a nonprofit organization, including the responsibilities and obligations of board members
- A willingness to dedicate time and energy to the organization, including attending board meetings, participating in committees, supporting fundraising efforts, and contributing to the organization’s growth and success
- Experience or affiliation with Concordia University as a student, alumna/alumnus, or staff member is considered a bonusApply by April 30th @ 11:59PM!