About CEED Concordia
CEED Concordia is a fee-levy association of Concordia University and a non-profit organization operating in Montreal, Canada and Gulu, Uganda with additional projects throughout Africa and Latin America. We provide youth with experiential learning and development opportunities to empower them to be the agents of change in their communities, with the goal of creating a positive and lasting impact in these communities.
Executive Director role
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is the Chief Executive Officer of CEED Concordia and has the overall responsibility for providing leadership, vision and management of the organization in Canada and Uganda. The ED reports to the Board of Directors, oversees CEED Concordia’s staff, harmonizes work from offices in Canada and Uganda, and collaborates with partner organizations.
Some travel will be required for this position, including but not limited to annual trips to Uganda for a period of approximately 4 months (travel may vary due to COVID-19).
Project Development, program management, and human resources
- Oversee the development, implementation, and monitoring of CEED Concordia’s overall programming and support staff in project delivery;
- Manage the recruitment, hiring, training and supervision of personnel, including staff members, interns and volunteers, and provide regular performance evaluations;
- Ensure daily operations satisfy legal and by-law requirements, and update human resource policies and practices in collaboration with the Board of Directors;
- Develop job positions according to the organization’s needs and in line with the organization’s budget.
Financial Management and Fundraising
- Develop and maintain sustainable and transparent financial practices;
- Develop and oversee the organization’s annual budget in close collaboration with the Board of Directors, and particularly the Finance Committee;
- Ensure the organization operates within the scope of its budget, conduct periodic budget versus actuals analyses and propose adjustments as needed;
- Attract new revenue generating and fundraising activities, including the submission of grant/project proposals, to support existing programming and towards the development of new programming in line with the strategic plan.
Advocacy and Relationship Building
- Advocate on behalf of the organization by representing CEED at various functions throughout the year, developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, promoting the organization’s programming, and seeking out new funding opportunities;
- Develop strong relations with Concordia University’s student body and other beneficiaries, and ensure CEED’s professional reputation and values are maintained within networks, project teams, and partner organizations;
- Attend and/or speak in academic and community events hosted by CEED Concordia.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in management, sustainability and international development, or in a related field;
- Experience managing a team and a demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed environment with minimal supervision;
- Superior interpersonal skills with colleagues, Board members, interns/volunteers and partners;
- Experience organizing public events and conducting fundraising activities;
- Demonstrated project management abilities, strong multi-tasking and organizational skills;
- Experience and/or openness to working in diverse cultural contexts;
- Fluent in written and spoken English; Functional in written and spoken French.
- Master’s degree in management, sustainability and international development, or in a related field;
- Experience in and knowledge of CEED Concordia, Uganda and/or the East African community;
- Knowledge or experience working with a Board of Directors;
- Leadership experience in nonprofit, social enterprise or social justice organizations.
To apply, please submit a copy of your CV and a cover letter by May 27th 2022. Please note that only candidates selected for interview will be contacted during the month of May. Our ideal candidate would be available to start by the end of June/early July.